Who are we?
Formed in 1976, the North Shore Chorus is a community choir based in North Vancouver, BC, Canada. It is a non-auditioned choir that draws its 60 members primarily from North and West Vancouver – the North Shore.
The choir rehearses once weekly and performs two or three concerts each year, often collaborating with other amateur organizations. We also perform in the community as a “public service,” singing at seniors’ homes and at public events such as the North Shore Candlelight Tribute every September.
The choir’s repertoire ranges from pop, jazz and folksong arrangements to madrigals, part-songs and major works with orchestra.
Rehearsals are held on Wednesday evenings from 7.15pm until 9.45pm from early September until mid May, with a short break at Christmas, at Mount Seymour United Church, 1200 Parkgate Avenue, North Vancouver. [Off the Mount Seymour Parkway] – (map)
10 reasons why all men should join a choir
- be needed
Manly voices add depth to any song, especially songs from Africa. You don’t need many male singers to make a huge difference to the sound of a mixed choir.
- make new friends Being part of a choir is a wonderful social activity. There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people (maybe even new life partners!) who have similar interests.
- live longer
There are plenty of scientific studies now that show how good singing is for the health, but not just any old singing, singing as part of a choir: it’s a stress-buster, helps with breathing problems, puts you in a good mood, reduces blood pressure, prevents social isolation, sharpens the brain, and much, much more.
- be part of a supportive community It’s extraordinary how quickly a choir becomes a real community. There are plenty of stories of how supportive other choir members can be at difficult times: bereavement, relationship break-ups, bad health, loss of job, etc.
- become more attractive Women go weak at the knees when they hear men singing! You’ll be amazed at how attractive you become when you start singing. And other men will be seriously impressed by your manly voice – whether high or low – and will look on in envy and admiration (and wish they’d joined the choir too).
- find your singing voice
If you’ve not sung much before, being in a choir is a great way to explore your singing voice in a safe space without being put on the spot. You are one of many and can hide at the back until you find your voice and feel more confident.
- show off to friends and family Once you’ve joined a choir you will soon want to share the amazing songs with your friends and family. Show them what you’ve been up to and bask in their pride and admiration.
- let off steam
What scope is there in everyday life to scream at the top of your voice without causing trouble? Singing in a choir is a fantastic way to let off steam in an acceptable way. Sing at the top of your lungs and let all your worries and frustrations go.
- have fun You’ll be surprised how much laughter goes on in choir sessions. Yes, you might have to work a little to learn the words and get your part right, but above all, singing in a choir is FUN!
- cure baldness Everyone knows that singing in a choir cures male pattern baldness. If you see any bald men in a choir, it’s because they didn’t join young enough!